Today I went to donate plasma like I do every Tuesday and Thursday. When you donate plasma you are supposed to drink a ton and eat a good meal before you go. Well today I guess I didn't eat enough or drink enough because I almost died... well no not really but I sure felt like it.
So when I got to the donation center I felt fine. I was hooked up to the machine and everything was going well. I had completed 2 cycles in record time and was almost done with my 3rd cycle when I started sweating profusely. I thought that it had something to do with how tight the arm cuff was so I called the tech over and he loosened it for me. The second that he loosened the cuff the room started spinning and all the noises became muffled. Now I have passed out before and so I knew what was about to happen and so I raised my hand trying to get someones attention. Well my hand wouldn't stay up and so I started to panic... I didn't want to pass out and fall off the bed, which is what would have happened if I had passed out. As I started to panic things started to get worse and I knew that I was only seconds away from passing out.
Well at that very second the accountant was passing by me and looked over and asked me if I was ok. Without waiting for an answer she ran over and grabbed an ice pack and put it behind my neck. She then called out for some help and then next thing that I really remember...I do remember somethings but not very well, so anyway, the next thing I remember is having 5 or 6 people around me, a fan blowing in my face, my feet up on a triangular cushion and ice packs on both of my legs, my arms, my chest, and my forehead (oh and the one that was already on my neck.) Anyways, it took like 30 minutes for me to start feeling better and so they unhooked me from the machine and wrapped up my arm and told me I was good to go. SO I sat up and my back was drenched. It looked and felt like I had just run a 5K well the nurses wouldn't let me leave and I had to sit for another 15 minutes.
On my way home I was on the phone with Sean and I started to get dizzy again and this made me panic... what if I crashed or what if I totally passed out and then crashed. So I made it home and barley made it into the bathroom when I was on the floor... I used the toilet to elevate my feet. I laid on the floor for about 15 minutes before I could get back up. I started to leave the bathroom and made it to the bathroom door before I was back on the floor... my head was in the hallway and my feet were in the bathroom. So I laid in the hallway for awhile and then got up and made it to the couch in the living room and sat down for a little longer. I needed to get food and so I got up and made it right in front of the fridge before I was on the floor again... the fridge was open and I couldn't reach it. After a couple of minutes I got up grabbed a pickle and barely made it to a chair before I needed to sit back down. I fell asleep in the chair for about 15 minutes when someone knocked at the door. Feeling better I got up and went to answer the door. Well you can guess what happened I opened the door and went straight the the ground. The poor little girl on the other side of the door was so worried. I told her not to worry, shut the door and crawled to my room.
Well to make a really really long story short I am feeling somewhat better though I still can't stand for very long and even sitting up for to long make me light headed. I do however have a ton of homework that I have to finish, seeing how my afternoon was ruined, and so I am making the sacrifice and I'm sitting up to type. I do have to say that I am so thankful that the accountant was passing me right when I needed her the most. She didn't have to look at me but she did and in my opinion she saved me from a lot of physical hurt.
I'm sorry that this was such a long story and I hope that it make sense. It make sense to me but then again I'm not really seeing straight and so it could be a jumbled mess. If it turns out to be a jumbled mess just tell me and I'll rewrite it on a day when I don' t feel so crappy.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Donating Plasma is very dangerous...
Posted by Ta'Mera at 9:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Geez Ta'Mera!! I'm glad you're ok! That's super scary! Hope you start feeling better soon
Crappy. That is why I do not donate plasma. Not worth the 20$.
Yikes! I hope you aren't dead since you were going to post every Thursday, and it is now Friday a week later with no post... Surely if you died someone would tell me right... :) Maybe I should call your mom...Be careful!
Post a Comment